Groovy Weekly #25
GR8Conf Europe is over, but there’s a lot to learn from the conference, with all the interesting conference sessions that took place there in Copenhagen.
The themes for this week will be around GR8Conf, of course, but also about Groovy on Android, again the Swift language, and also the first impressive demo of Grails 3.0!
Right after the conference also took place the annual Groovy DevCon meetup, gathering core members of the Groovy team, Grails team, and members of the Groovy ecosystem. Lots of interesting tidbits about what’s coming up in Groovy!
Fasten your seat belt, and without further ado, let’s get started!
- Andrés Almiray announces the release of Griffon 2.0.0.BETA
- Cédric Champeau released version 0.2 of the Groovy Android plugin fpr Gradle to simplify developments of Android apps in Groovy
- Gradle 2.0-RC-1 is available for testing
- Bertrand Goetzmann updated Afterburner.gfx to the latest GroovyFX 0.4.0 release
- Guillaume Laforge shared the notes of the Groovy DevCon #10 meetup that took place in Copenhagen right after GR8Conf Europe 2014
- See how developing mobile Android apps in Groovy can be a streamlined in Cédric Champeau’s article
- Cédric Champeau gives more technical details about the Groovy on Android
- JAXEnter believes Groovy is the Swift-alternative for Android
- Luke Daley gives a detailed update about the status of the Ratpack project
- Null Object pattern implementation in Groovy by Marcin Zajączkowski
Presentations — GR8Conf Europe special edition
- video and slides of Guillaume Laforge’s Groovy update talk
- Cédric Champeau’s presentation and code of the first Android app in Groovy
- Idiomatic Spock talk by Rob Fletcher
- Marco Vermeulen’s slides and code about his presentation on Spring Boot microservices
- Slides and source for Marco Vermeulen’s Behavior Driven Development talk with Groovy and Cucumber
- Julien Viet presented Crash, the shell for the JVM
- slides and code from Göran Ehrsson on Grails feature plugins
- MrHaki’s Gradle Goodness slides and code
- Alexander Klein on Vert.x with Groovy
- Lari Hotari speaks about Grails 3, Ratpack and Spring Boot
- Claus Ibsen on Apache Camel, Hawtio and Groovy
- Benoît Hédiard presented a talk titled “Running a Startup with Lean & DevOps culture” where his weapons of choices were Groovy and Grails
- Jacob Aae Mikkelsen week 22 and 23 of the Grails Diary
- EdX is featuring a Functional Programming class by Erik Meijer that might get a little Groovy love
- Mark Perry created a new module for FunctionalGroovy for improving the usage of Java 8’s Optional class
- Magnus Rundberget reports nice contributions from GR8Conf Europe 2014’s hackergarten improving the Groovy support in Light Table, particularly around the Gradle dependency graph
- A Flappy Bird clone for Android in Groovy!
- The Groovy Remote Control plugin is an example of a Jenkins plugin written in Groovy
- At GR8Conf Europe, Graeme Rocher showed a super lean example of a RESTful micro-service in Grails 3.0 with just a single class!
- Cédric Champeau gives all the links regarding Groovy on Android, with his presentation slides from GR8Conf, the code of the GR8Conf agenda application
- Looks like Groovy on Android is a hot topic in Japan!
- Graeme Rocher’s Grails 3 goals slide from his GR8Conf Europe presentation
- Lari Hotari demonstrated a Spring Boot application, inside Ratpack, using Grails GORM, at GR8Conf Europe
- During his presentation at GR8Conf Europe, MrHaki was using the Gradle_Language package for SublimeText
- Dan Vega is enhancing Apple’s Swift language with Groovy methods
- Andrés Almiray points at the fact you can try Crash online with the examples shown by Julien Viet during GR8Conf Europe
- Pictures of the GR8Conf Europe 2014 event:
- Iván López notes that the first Android application written in Groovy is the GR8Conf agenda application built by Cédric Champeau
- Dan Woods enjoy the method-level granularity of what you decides should be dynamic or statically compiled in Groovy
- Gradle 2.0-rc-1 available on GVM
- Ben Edwards reminds us that the SmartThings IoT platform is using Groovy as its intelligence language
- It’s easy to create Griffon applications with GVM, Gradle, and Lazybones
- GVM adds Crash to the list of candidates
- Spring Boot 1.1 is available on GVM
- Gradle in Action is 50% off today
- Greg Turnquist recently wrapped up chapter 1 (“getting started with Groovy”) of his upcoming Spring Boot book
- Searching for a Grails developer in Berlin
- The GR8Ladies are partnering with TCGeekettes for a GR8 workshop on June 28th
- More talks selected for SpringOne2GX in Dallas